- WeChat Launched Voice Open Platform and Speech Recognition SDKPosted 6 days ago
- Running A Luxury Flash-Sale Site in China: Interview with Glamour Sales CEO Thibault VilletPosted 7 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] Chinese and Global App Economy Trends: App Annie VP Yu JundePosted 17 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] China Mobile Gaming Market, the Easy Market for Easy Money?Posted 18 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] How Did Changba Gain 100 Million Users in One YearPosted 19 days ago
Tencent Video Spending Hundreds of Millions of RMB to Build Network
Tencent is reportedly spending hundreds of millions of RMB to strengthen and expand its online video node infrastructure network. The competitive online video market in China is intensifying with Youku focusing on its technology and content, and Tudou going public recently.
General Manager of Tencent Video, LIU Chen has remarked that original content is core. Therefore they will be investing a lot of money in to creating and buying original licensed content that will drive traffic. This will include popular dramas, reality contests, business, entertainment, sports, games, fashion, cars and so on programs.
To operationally support this expansion of content and streaming speed, Tencent is pumping the money into the server CDN networks infrastructure and deploying hundreds of nodes across the country to create Asia’s largest CDN network. The network is aimed at tapping into the growing importance of tier two to tier four cities and giving them a great viewing experience.
Since Tencent is heavily focusing on video now, recent rumors of Tencent’s potential investment in market leader, Youku, makes sense.
You may also Read:
- Tencent's Real Name Social Network, Pengyou.com is Now An Open Platform
- Brands can build their own designer social network with Behance
- Weishi, Tencent’s Video Messaging App, the Cross-Platform FaceTime
- Tencent 100 Millions Microblogging Users, Sina 12,000 Tweets Per Second
- Sohu's online video business gain market share