- WeChat Launched Voice Open Platform and Speech Recognition SDKPosted 5 days ago
- Running A Luxury Flash-Sale Site in China: Interview with Glamour Sales CEO Thibault VilletPosted 6 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] Chinese and Global App Economy Trends: App Annie VP Yu JundePosted 17 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] China Mobile Gaming Market, the Easy Market for Easy Money?Posted 18 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] How Did Changba Gain 100 Million Users in One YearPosted 18 days ago
Kakao Acquires Lotiple and more [Weekly Korean Startup News, ~18 Nov 2011]
This post is written by Hyunseok Choi, editor at Onsuccess.me, a Korean Tech Blog with insights into Korean startup ecosystem and tech space.
1. Kakao, famous for its messaging app named KakaoTalk, acquired a location based commerce service, Lotiple. KakaoTalk has expressed itself as a platform, since it launched ‘Plus Friend’, which is the brand page in KakaoTalk. And it announced that its user had passed 30 million on 16th of this month. Lotiple is a real-time location based commerce app, and it announced its suspension from 8 Dec 2011 midnight. According to a Korean tech news, why Kakao acquired Lotiple is highly skilled tech people of Lotiple is needed for Kakao’s main projects. The specific acquisition amount is unknown.
2. Seoul city opens ‘Global Business Support Center’ in Seoul International Finance Center(SIFC) building in Yeouido, Seoul this December. Foreigners who want to found their company in Korea can apply for Seoul City’s incubating program including free office rental. Not only the new office in SIFC but also some offices in COEX, Kangnam can be rented at no cost for foreign entrepreneurs.
3. One of the Korean TechCrunch Disrupt Beijing 2011 Finalists, Shakr Media started its private beta since 15th November. Shakr transforms written content into video instantly using WebGL technology. Anyone with a facebook friend already using Shakr can access its private beta.
You may also Read:
- Nexon To List On Tokyo Stock Exchange, and more [Weekly Korean Startup News, ~11 Nov 2011]
- Seoul Space is Korea’s Y-Combinator with Korean Flair
- 3 Cool Start-Ups from Korean Incubator – Seoul Space
- Korean and Japanese Mobile Companies Focused on Creating an Ecosystem
- Korean Start-Ups : Starting the New Wave