- WeChat Launched Voice Open Platform and Speech Recognition SDKPosted 6 days ago
- Running A Luxury Flash-Sale Site in China: Interview with Glamour Sales CEO Thibault VilletPosted 7 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] Chinese and Global App Economy Trends: App Annie VP Yu JundePosted 18 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] China Mobile Gaming Market, the Easy Market for Easy Money?Posted 18 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] How Did Changba Gain 100 Million Users in One YearPosted 19 days ago
Enswers Acquired by KT for $40m and more [Weekly Korean Startup News, ~6 Dec 2011]
This post is written by Hyunseok Choi, editor at Onsuccess.me, a Korean Tech Blog with insights into Korean startup ecosystem and tech space.
1. Enswers, a leading video searching tech company, announced that it was acquired by KT for 45 billion won ($40 mn). Enswers will operate as a subsidiary of KT, and Softbank Ventures Korea, the largest shareholder prior to the acquisition, haven’t sold its shares. It seems Softbank Ventures Korea is expecting the value of Enswers is higher than its amount of acquisition.
2. Samsung Electronics denied collecting its smartphone users’ personal data. According to a study jointly conducted by a local media, some built-in apps including the “mirror” app, data network setting and program monitoring apps on the Galaxy S, Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Note were capable of collecting users’ private information. But Samsung Electronics said it didn’t gather its smartphone users’ personal data, and Korea Communications Commission is investigating this matter.
3. According to ’2011 Korean Internet Economy Benefit Analysis Study’ conducted byInternet Corporation Association and Sogang University Market Economy Institute, the size of domestic internet economy in Korea amounts to 63 trillion won($55 billion) which accounts for 5.94% of GDP. This size is greater than that of motor industry(5.71%) or electric industry(4.23%). Internet economy is consisted of information retrieval, advertisement, e-commerce, game, etc.
You may also Read:
- Nexon To List On Tokyo Stock Exchange, and more [Weekly Korean Startup News, ~11 Nov 2011]
- Kakao Acquires Lotiple and more [Weekly Korean Startup News, ~18 Nov 2011]
- Korean Mobile Gaming, Igniting the Engine of Growth
- Korean and Japanese Mobile Companies Focused on Creating an Ecosystem
- Seoul Space is Korea’s Y-Combinator with Korean Flair