- WeChat Launched Voice Open Platform and Speech Recognition SDKPosted 7 days ago
- Running A Luxury Flash-Sale Site in China: Interview with Glamour Sales CEO Thibault VilletPosted 8 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] Chinese and Global App Economy Trends: App Annie VP Yu JundePosted 19 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] China Mobile Gaming Market, the Easy Market for Easy Money?Posted 19 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] How Did Changba Gain 100 Million Users in One YearPosted 20 days ago
Pony Ma Shares Thoughts On Mobile Internet, Says Weixin Users Hit 200 Million By This Month
In the 2012 China Internet Conference, the penguin kingdom leader Pony Ma shared his opinions on the mobile internet. Here’s some key notes.
Pony Started the speech by quoting some latest data that by the end of June, Chinese mobile internet users have reached 388 million, and the number has passed 400 millions till September. “It is very clear that the mobile internet is the future trend, and we are all facing a brand-new area in which there are new rules and new user habits ahead of us.”
To illustrate this point, he showed some facts of the Tencent community, “According to our analysis, more than half of the messages on QQ are sent through mobile devices. On our SNS platform QZone, everyday about 200 million pictures are uploaded there. And now over 53% of the pictures are taken by phones. This is very prominent growth.”
“Our mobile IM Weixin was first launched 14 months ago, and now in this March we have already had over 100 million registered users. And I believe that by the end of this month, the number could have been 200 million. ”
The Critical Period
There is one particular difference between the products on mobile and on fixed internet access as to Pony. “On PC internet, the traffic entrance is mostly realized through several search engines or client tools offered by a small fraction of tech companies. However, on mobile internet the stage could be everyone’s thanks to the open Appstore market. Even a less-than-2-person team can create the hottest product overnight.”
The new mode surely brings along a higher standard for product quality. “A user can install an app within seconds, but he can also uninstall it right away if he gets confused or dislikes it. On the other hand, if he finds an app useful or interesting within a minute, he will very soon share this with friends through SNS or mobile tools. And this could be even quicker than you could imagine before this app hits the No.1 place on the Appstore ranking list.” Pony explained.
“I found it that the critical period of an app was less than a month. Usually a successful app would become very popular in 3 to 7 days after its release. If your product hasn’t seen any good mark after a month, you have to think about innovating and change.”
The Security Issue
“A recent report on 7 popular Appstores showed that about 58% of the apps are suspected of revealing users’ privacy. This could not necessarily be illegal, but users are innocent for they can not really make sure if their information is safe or not.” Pony also pointed out that Tencent was very serious about the security issues on mobile, and that the company urges the whole industry to take notice of it.
At the end of his speech, Pony announced that “Tencnet will put in totally RMB 10billion as a security fund to encourage more enterprises working on the safety of mobile internet. I hope that in this filed, all the players can work together and never stop looking for a better solution to provide a safer user environment.”
You may also Read:
- Breaking, Pony Ma Confirms that Tencent’s Weixin Has Reached 100 Million Users
- Unstoppable Tencent? 310 Millions Weibo Users and 20 Millions Weixin Users
- Papaya Mobile, Over 20 million Users
- Mobile Social App Momo Surpasses Half a Million Users, Coming to Android
- China: 485 Millions Internet Users and 195 Millions Microblog Users