- Sogou CEO Admitted Talks with Qihoo on Potential InvestmentPosted 5 days ago
- Taobao Turns Ten Today: A Look BackPosted 8 days ago
- Alibaba Invests US$294 million for 28% of AutoNavi, Becoming Its Biggest ShareholderPosted 8 days ago
- [Updated]Baidu Acquires PPS for $370 million in Cash, Will Merge It Into iQiyiPosted 12 days ago
- Alibaba Confirms Investment in Sina Weibo, Taking An 18% Stake for $586 millionPosted 19 days ago
Kakao Game to Set Foot Abroad Following Success in Home Turf
akao Corp., the company behind Kakao Talk announced yesterday launching Kakao Game feature for the global market on both Android and iOS ecosystem. Kakao first launched the game platform which baked into its Kakao Talk in this July in Korea and recorded 82 million downloads in three months.
Kakao Game is the first profitable mobile messenger-based game platform worldwide. It provides users with downloadable mobile games. And since the platform was built on top of Kakao Talk, a quite popular mobile communicating tool with big user pool that could be leveraged on, it became a overnight hit in Korean market and toppped the game category of Korea’s google Play and App Store.
The platform, as of now, hosts 31 game titles and its revenue for the first three months after launch in July surpassed US$ 51.6 million. In October alone the revenue was US$ 35.3 million.
Kakao singled out three most sucessful casual games for its overseas reach, incuding Anipang, Tap Tap Blitz and Puzzle Zoo Zoo.
Kakao Talk believed that its game platform might be a gateway for success for smaller game developers in Korea that are confronting with difficulties in splashing money in marketing. Interestingly, Tencent’s Weixin also was rumored to launch a game platform soon. Tencent’s quarterly financial report revealed that the Chinese Internet giant invested US$63M into Kakao to acquire 13.54% of the company.
Kakao Game’s Monthly Revenue Growth Since Launch
You may also Read:
- Korea’s Mobile Social Game, Anipang Hits 2.5M Installs Within 20 Days, Thanks to Kakao’s Game Center
- Kakao Acquires Lotiple and more [Weekly Korean Startup News, ~18 Nov 2011]
- Web Game, A Blue Sea for Game Companies?
- Global Mobile Game Awards at GMIC2011 – Submit Your Mobile Game!
- Tencent Advances in Game with New Acquisition and Rising Revenue