- Sogou CEO Admitted Talks with Qihoo on Potential InvestmentPosted 8 days ago
- Taobao Turns Ten Today: A Look BackPosted 11 days ago
- Alibaba Invests US$294 million for 28% of AutoNavi, Becoming Its Biggest ShareholderPosted 11 days ago
- [Updated]Baidu Acquires PPS for $370 million in Cash, Will Merge It Into iQiyiPosted 15 days ago
- Alibaba Confirms Investment in Sina Weibo, Taking An 18% Stake for $586 millionPosted 22 days ago
Rumor: Weixin to Launch Mobile Gaming platform soon?
It seems Weixin is now making faster and longer strides towards monetization as an insider told local media that the most popular communicating tool in China would be launching a gaming platform in the wake of its public platform, new online-to-offline initiative as well as mobile loyalty program.
Weixin crossed the 200 million users mark by the middle of the year with rocketing growth. Now with a huge user base, now it might be the right time to monetize that user pool.
Weixin hasn’t confirmed the rumor yet.
On the other hand, mobile game platform created by KakaoTalk, the Korean equivalent of Weixin into which Tencent invested RMB400 million, became extreme popular under Google Play’s game category in 10 days after its initial launch. It makes sense for Weixin to draw on that successful experience.
According to iiMedia Research, Chinese mobile game market in 2011 reached RMB 3.28 billion, and was expected to surpass RMB 6 billion this year. Pony Ma, founder and CEO of Tencent once said that, Weixin is the first platform that rises from mobile Internet solely, Tencent is still exploring its profit model. Well mobile game might be a shortcut.
news via Donews
You may also Read:
- Tencent Weixin’s Open Platform Launched
- Taobao To Launch Open Platform For TMall; Baidu Launches URL Shortening Service; Kaixin001 Goes Aggressively On Mobile App
- 360Buy Is Bored With The Price War, To Launch Its Web Game Platform
- Rumor, Tencent Wants Its Weixin To Rock Global Market
- Jiepang to Launch New App with Weixin Integration