Umeng, the Beijing-based leading mobile app analytics and developer service in China, released its Data Insight Report for 2012. According to it, iOS devices reached 85 million while the Android-based reached 160 million by the end of 2012.
At the start of 2012 the number of new Android and iOS activations was 9.2 million a month. This has grown rapidly, particularly in the last half of the year to a staggering 33 million new activations a month by year end.
It is interesting that the frequency of launching mobile app sessions in Dec. was 16 times that of the beginning of the year while the number of monthly mobile app session length, 12 times.
- More users choose iPad among different tablets. In 2012 Q4, iPad accounted for 82% of the tablet market share.
- As to Android-based smartphones, Samsung and HTC are still the most welcomed brands, but their combined share decreased from 53% in 2011 to 32%. Home-grown brands such as Lenovo, Coolpad and Xiaomi provided consumers more choices.
- Users demand more on video apps. On average, the time every user consumed on videos lengthened, from 9 min to 31 min, seeing an increase of 259%. And the frequency of use rose by 24%. In big cities, watching videos (mostly offline videos) on mobile end is a good way to kill time during transportation.
- The frequency of using reading apps went up by 144% while the using time dropped by 6%, which means readers prefer read short piece of information on mobile ends.
- The frequency of using tool apps dropped by 21%. More and more tooling apps were pre-installed by the manufacturers.
- Sharing function became a must. Those apps which support to share on SNS are 3.5 times more likely to spread. Through tapping on ‘share’, the apps can spread infectiously and attract more users. Developers might need to give those valuable users more decent service and take part in the sharing behaviors and promote the brand.
- Most users share content on 2:00-13:00 and around midnight. Different groups of users differentiate in sharing behaviors. White-collars tend to share info at 9 a.m., 2 p.m.and 8 p.m.. Students are more likely to share on 1 p.m. and from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
For the full report, please visit here.