- WeChat Launched Voice Open Platform and Speech Recognition SDKPosted 7 days ago
- Running A Luxury Flash-Sale Site in China: Interview with Glamour Sales CEO Thibault VilletPosted 8 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] Chinese and Global App Economy Trends: App Annie VP Yu JundePosted 19 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] China Mobile Gaming Market, the Easy Market for Easy Money?Posted 19 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] How Did Changba Gain 100 Million Users in One YearPosted 20 days ago
Wechat Joined Hands With China Telecom To Make Inroads into Rural China
China Telecom Corporation Limited (HK:00728) is reportedly to roll out a 499 yuan contract, including a 3G handset preinstalled with WeChat (source in Chinese).
Targeted at rural areas, the contract features a 399 yuan E-surfing branded smartphone, 100 yuan prepaid fee and 20M data every month. China Telecom claims the monthly data offering means 20 thousand text messages, 400 photos or 360-minutes-long voice messages through WeChat.
The introduction of WeChat OTT business will bring the competition among telecom operators to a feverish pitch. The OTT mode enables telecom carriers to embed WeChat business into their contracts, giving a push to data-based services but bringing more pressure to traditional telecom businesses.
This tie-up endowed China Telecom a competitive edge against its major rivals of China Mobile and China Unicom.
You may also Read:
- China Telecom to Encourage In-house Innovation
- China’s Three Telcos Make Joint Effort to Enable Cross-platform App Billing
- China Unicom Offering FREE iPhone 4s with 3 Year Contracts
- China Telecom Becomes World’s Largest CDMA Carrier
- More About Sina Weibo, Partners With China Telecom and China Unicom