We’re looking for a news editor who can help us identify and tell the latest China tech stories, pinpoint emerging trends and topics, and help shepherd them into our feature coverage.
News is a core strength of TechNode. Reporting to the Managing Editor, the news editor is responsible for rolling out and enforcing the highest journalism standards, including style guidelines. They will also be responsible for revising current newsgathering methods to ensure that our coverage is best in class for China tech news. In addition, a key goal will be to increase emphasis on original reporting, to ensure we bring fresh insights to TechNode subscribers.
- As we build out our physical newsroom at our Shanghai HQ, you ideally live in Shanghai.
- You have at least 1 year of experience in news editing or working in a newsroom environment.
- You are passionate about technology in all aspects, and are equally comfortable discussing corporate results of tech companies as the broader social and cultural implications of tech for Chinese society.
- You have experience managing a team of reporters, including duty rostering, performance monitoring and evaluation, and gauging professional development needs of the team.
- You are skilled at communicating across cultures. You are a native speaker of English or have native-level English. While your Chinese language abilities may not be 100% fluent, you are still able to effectively communicate with others from different backgrounds.
- You are passionate about pursuing quality journalism and telling China’s tech story to the world.
- You have an innate and insatiable curiosity about the world around you. You always want to know more and understand the trends, forces, and people that are changing the world.
- You are social media savvy, and willing to work closely with our social media manager to ensure our news stories reach the widest audience possible.
- You have a knack for headline writing, and appreciate the value of strong visual components in storytelling.
- You have experience of, and are comfortable applying, AP style.
- You are eager to work with reporters, encouraging them to produce their best work to the highest standards.
- You have experience writing and editing newsletters, or you are willing to develop such expertise.
What You’ll Do
- Manage a team of reporters spread throughout China.
- Set the daily news agenda.
- Establish and monitor filing deadlines, edit and publish pieces.
- Keep track of performance indicators, providing regular feedback to reporters.
- Decide headlines and make decisions regarding visual elements.
- Contribute to editorial discussions and direction.
- Work on newsletters (daily and weekly).
- Coordinate with social media manager to assure maximum distribution of our stories through various social media channels.
What You’ll Get
- A professional team that is focused on producing great content.
- A chance to be part of a media organization that is entering a new stage of growth, embracing fresh approaches in the pursuit of sustainable journalism.
- Opportunities to meet and make connections with the people changing our world.
- A friendly and fun-loving team.
- A journalistic experience like no other: Tell the story of China’s rise and expertise in the tech arena.
- In-depth knowledge and a thorough understanding of the tech industry in China.
How to Apply
If you’d like to apply, please fill in this form (may require a VPN).