We’re looking for a news editor who can help us identify and tell the latest China tech stories, pinpoint emerging trends and topics, and lead our team of news reporters. The job can be based in either Shanghai or Beijing.
News is a core strength of TechNode. Reporting to the editor in chief, the news editor is responsible for enforcing journalism standards (including style guidelines and reporting efforts), fact-checking, and working on detailed line edits. In addition, a key goal will be to increase emphasis on original reporting, to ensure we bring fresh insights to TechNode subscribers.
- You have at least one year of experience in news editing, or are an experienced news reporter interested in transitioning to editing.
- You are passionate about pursuing quality journalism and telling China’s tech story to the world.
- You are passionate about technology, and are equally comfortable discussing corporate results of tech companies as the broader social and cultural implications of tech for Chinese society.
- You are skilled at communicating across cultures. You are a native speaker of English or have native-level English. While your Chinese language abilities may not be 100% fluent, you are still able to effectively communicate with others from different backgrounds.
- You are eager to work with reporters, encouraging them to produce their best work to the highest standards.
- You are social media savvy, and willing to work closely with our social media manager to ensure our news stories reach the widest audience possible.
- You have a knack for headline writing, and appreciate the value of strong visual components in storytelling.
- You have experience with, and are comfortable applying, a style guide. Familiarity with AP Style is highly desirable.
- Ideally, you have experience managing a team of reporters, including duty rostering, performance monitoring and evaluation, and gauging professional development needs of the team.
What You’ll Do
- Manage a team of reporters spread throughout China.
- Set the daily news agenda.
- Establish and monitor filing deadlines, edit, and publish pieces.
- Assist with editing features, newsletters, and other products as needed.
- Keep track of performance indicators, providing regular feedback to reporters.
- Decide headlines and make decisions regarding visual elements.
- Contribute to editorial discussions and direction.
What You’ll Get
- A professional team that is focused on producing great content.
- A chance to be part of a media organization that embraces fresh approaches in the pursuit of sustainable journalism.
- Opportunities to meet and make connections with the people changing our world.
- A friendly and fun-loving team.
- A journalistic experience like no other: Tell the story of China’s rise and expertise in the tech arena.
- In-depth knowledge and a thorough understanding of the tech industry in China.
How to Apply
If you’d like to apply, please fill in this form (may require a VPN).