Editor’s note: This originally appeared on Analyse Asia, a weekly podcast hosted by Bernard Leong, dedicated to dissecting the pulse of business, technology, and media in Asia. The podcast features guests from Asia’s vibrant tech community. This week is our very own Wang Boyuan.
Wang Boyuan from Technode & TechCrunch China joined us in an interesting discussion the LeEco Group. He began with the vision, mission, and team behind the company and break down the intriguing web of business structures within the group. Last but not least, he also discussed whether the LeEco can survive their ongoing crisis and offer his perspectives whether LeEco is truly disrupting the industry or a house of cards.
Listen to the episode here or subscribe.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion (with timestamps included):
- Wang Boyuan, Writer and Editor, TechCrunch China (@thisboyuan, WeChat:boyuanw, TechCrunch China) [0:39]
- LeEco (Wikipedia, Bloomberg, main site) [1:29]
- Introduction: LeEco is a leading global Internet Company, started from the media space with LeTV, and now it is in different business such as mobile phones and cars and launched in the US. It’s a public company listed on Shenzhen Stock Exchange, with an annual revenue of US$1.6B with market capitalisation in the range of US$13B.
- Can you introduce the company LeEco formerly known as LeTV or Leshi? [2:09]
- What is the mission and vision of LeEco Group? [3:01]
- Who are the key executives in LeEco Group together with their charismatic founder, Jia Yueting? [3:35]
- Hank Liu, Vice Chairman & co-founder of LeEco Group [4:41]
- Who are the board of directors in the LeEco Group? [5:30]
- Can you share how the company is structured for example, it has many subsidiaries within the Group itself for example, Letv.com, Leshi Zhi Xin, Le Vision Pictures, Wangjiu.com, Letv Holding, Letv Investment management and Le Mobile? [6:38]
- LeHoldings is said to have 34 subsidiaries according to The Economic Observer经济观察报. They can be parted in two categories: listed and unlisted. (see the picture below)
- Leshi Internet Information & Technology (LeHoldings only takes 0.64% share), 13 affiliates, including the video platform Letv.com, Leshi Zhi Xin which provide Smart TV devices and online store, LeSports and LeMusic which holds its Intellectual Properties and content services, like the right to air China top soccer league in China, and to air NBA games in HK.
- The listed subsidiaries also include Letv Investment management (its fintech branch), LeCloud (cloud service), HuaErYingShi (TV drama production) and LeShi NewMedia (company to buy IPs).
- The unlisted business including Le Mobile its smartphone business, Faraday Future, its supercar business, Le Vision Pictures (motion picture production and distribution) behind the upcoming Hollywood blockbuster “The Great Wall” directed by Zhang Yimou and starring Matt Damon, Leshi Agriculture, including Wangjiu.com sell wines and alcohol.
- How are the different business units within LeEco Group structured? [9:47]
- How do LeEco generate revenues and what are the business models for their different businesses? [10:50]
- In 2015, 46.78% of their venue came from TV (terminal), 20.82% came from subscription, and advertisement took 20.23%
- Can you talk about the hardware products launched by LeEco? [12:00]
- Why did LeEco acquire Vizio for US$2B? [14:15]
- LeEco’s strategy in the US market. [15:40]
- Is LeEco really a disruptor going big or a house of cards that will crash at some point? [16:30]
- How is LeEco compare to BAT and Xiaomi? [17:50]
- Recently LeEco has admitted to problems of over-expansion and cash shortfall, what do you think for their way forward? [19:22]
Here’s the structure of LeEco Group from their 2015 annual report (and it’s written in Chinese)
- A new tech giant? Why you need to know about China’s LeEco by Tech in Asia
- Is LeEco China’s Most Ambitious Tech Company? By Fortune
- A real disruptor or a big talker? The myth of LeEco, China Tech Insights
- LeEco talks about its “overstretched” overseas expansion, Technode.
- Nevada official voices concerns about Faraday Future financial problems，Review Journal
- LeEco got 600 million investment
TechNode does not necessarily endorse the commentary made in this program.