- Sogou CEO Admitted Talks with Qihoo on Potential InvestmentPosted 8 days ago
- Taobao Turns Ten Today: A Look BackPosted 11 days ago
- Alibaba Invests US$294 million for 28% of AutoNavi, Becoming Its Biggest ShareholderPosted 11 days ago
- [Updated]Baidu Acquires PPS for $370 million in Cash, Will Merge It Into iQiyiPosted 14 days ago
- Alibaba Confirms Investment in Sina Weibo, Taking An 18% Stake for $586 millionPosted 22 days ago
More Chinese Companies to Launch Path-like Service
Witnessed the noise made by the launch of Path 2.0 in late last year, Kaixin001 stealthily started working on something similar from last December on, people who broke the news said, and now it’s show time.
As for Tencent, it was also rumored to introduce features inspired by Path into the newest version of its wild popular mobile IM app Weixin, which just topped 100 million users.
We wrote couple days ago a Beijing-based team made available an app dubbed Diandi with mixed comments, most of which criticized the app for literally ripping off the original Path with zero innovation.
screenshot of Diandi, a Chinese Path clone
General social networking service like Renren, Kaixin001 and Tencent Pengyou together gobbled a large chunk of the market leaving minor competitors with little room to grow within. The arrival of Path and its disruptive concept of promoting life sharing between only people who you’re familiar with certainly served as an enlightenment for Chinese players who were looking to “jump out of the box”.
Kaixin001 experimented with many sidekick products last year with not so rosy outcome, and since the site started as a non real name SNS, it remains to be seen that how many people could be persuaded into using the new initiative.
You may also Read:
- Here Comes DianDi, the first Chinese Path
- Kaixin001 To Co-operate Group Buying Service; Baidu To Launch Online Recruitment Service With New Domain Name And Branding
- Kaixin001 Is To Launch Its Microblogging Service, for Self-Protection
- Taobao To Launch Open Platform For TMall; Baidu Launches URL Shortening Service; Kaixin001 Goes Aggressively On Mobile App
- 50 Millions Users, Sina To Launch Weibo.com For Its Microblogging Service