- WeChat Launched Voice Open Platform and Speech Recognition SDKPosted 10 days ago
- Running A Luxury Flash-Sale Site in China: Interview with Glamour Sales CEO Thibault VilletPosted 10 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] Chinese and Global App Economy Trends: App Annie VP Yu JundePosted 21 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] China Mobile Gaming Market, the Easy Market for Easy Money?Posted 22 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] How Did Changba Gain 100 Million Users in One YearPosted 23 days ago
[Updated]Qihoo Rolls out Another Piece of Hardware: An “Anti-malware” Router
Qihoo, the Chinese Internet company who is most known for offering free security services, released an “anti-phishing, anti-Trojan”router by partnering with Shenzhen-based router manufacturer Netcore.
Named NI360, the router will be sold at 99 yuan ($ 16), cheaper than the average router in the market, on Qihoo’s shopping site. Apart from anti-malware, the router provides stronger wireless data encryption, Qihoo claims.
Last week Qihoo unveiled a plug-and-play wireless router. It is reported that the gadget is designed by Qihoo’s 360 Mobile Assistant team and manufactured by a third party.
Last year Qihoo came up with a strategy on hardware that partnered with manufacturers to sell smartphones to its massive users. In that case some manufacturers agreed to call certain models of theirs something like “phones for Qihoo users”, but Qihoo itself didn’t have to do anything.
The smartphone strategy didn’t work out. The launch of the routers looks like that Qihoo is taking another approach. Local media speculate that the router is considered another gateway where Qihoo can gain and control users.
Update: It is reported that Qihoo is working on a search service called Leidian where all kinds of mobile apps and services will be available and can be installed into users’ mobile devices through Qihoo routers (source in Chinese).
image credit: Qihoo
You may also Read:
- Qihoo Gets into Hardware Business Too: A Plug-and-play Wireless Router Sold for $3
- Qihoo filed for IPO in the U.S., raising US$200 million
- Qihoo 360 Will Enter the IM Market to Battle QQ
- Scandal: anti-virus software provider Netqin cooperates with virus maker to cheat consumers, just before its IPO plan in Nasdaq
- Qihoo Acquires SaaS Online Security Startup RiZhiBao