- WeChat Launched Voice Open Platform and Speech Recognition SDKPosted 3 days ago
- Running A Luxury Flash-Sale Site in China: Interview with Glamour Sales CEO Thibault VilletPosted 4 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] Chinese and Global App Economy Trends: App Annie VP Yu JundePosted 15 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] China Mobile Gaming Market, the Easy Market for Easy Money?Posted 16 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] How Did Changba Gain 100 Million Users in One YearPosted 17 days ago
EasyChat, Jointly Launched by NetEase and China Telecom, Is More than A WeChat Clone
China Telecom (HK:00728) and NetEase (NASDAQ:NTES) jointly launched the long-awaited mobile messaging app, named EasyChat (Yixin in Chinese). Aiming at WeChat, the app is more than a WeChat clone.
Apart from what WeChat can do, EasyChat supports sending voice messages to mobile or fixed-line numbers for free. Tencent’s WeChat previously partnered with China Unicom that rolled out WeChat Wo, a custom SIM card. China Telecom goes even farther as the feature must have impact on its existing revenue generators, text messages and calls. China Telecom and NetEase established EasyChat Technology, with the former controlling 73% of the company.
Email and cloud music services provided by NetEase are integrated in it.
Users who registered EasyChat accounts will get 300M free data and those send more than five messages per month on EasyChat can get 60M data in the following month. Both of the free data plans are not restricted for EasyChat usage. In addition, EasyChat reportedly will provide free data service to e-surfing subscribers from Jan. 2014.
In order to avoid competition, EasyChat will zero in on personal instant messenger market and Yiliao, a similar service offered by China Telecom, will focus on government and enterprise users.
You may also Read:
- Wechat Joined Hands With China Telecom To Make Inroads into Rural China
- China Telecom to Encourage In-house Innovation
- Netease In Big Trouble, GAPP Says NO for the Operation of WoW in China
- WeChat, China Unicom Joined Hands To Launch Custom SIM Card
- Fruit Ninja Partners With China Mobile To Offer China Market-Tailored Game;China Telecom To Release Mobile IM YiLiao With Free Voice Messaging