- WeChat Launched Voice Open Platform and Speech Recognition SDKPosted 9 days ago
- Running A Luxury Flash-Sale Site in China: Interview with Glamour Sales CEO Thibault VilletPosted 10 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] Chinese and Global App Economy Trends: App Annie VP Yu JundePosted 21 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] China Mobile Gaming Market, the Easy Market for Easy Money?Posted 21 days ago
- [TechCrunch Shanghai] How Did Changba Gain 100 Million Users in One YearPosted 22 days ago
Lewa, An Android Smartphone Custom ROM Developer, Released OS5
Lewa, a custom ROM developer targets at low-end Android-enabled smartphones, reportedly released OS5 in a low profile on Sept. 29 (report in Chinese). Lewa focused on smartphones priced at around 1,000 yuan ($162.564), sharing the similar users with Xiaomi, Meizu and Smartisan.
OS5 featured icons with enhanced visual effects, despite that flat design, which takes the textures, bezels and gradients out of the UI and replaces them with simple and clear design elements, emerged as a new development tendency after the release of iOS 7. Yuan Qianlong, COO of the company, said that some users are not ready to accept flat design, especially for low-end consumers who are the target users of Lewa.
OS5, which introduced more easy interaction experiences, will highlight the latest contacts and used phone numbers for smartphones with the function of dual SIM cards two standby, a common feature for low-end smartphones.
As we reported earlier, Lewa has accumulated 2 million users since its establishment in 2011. After receiving angel invest from Green Pine Capital Partners, Lewa secured 50 million yuan of capital from Tencent in 2012.
The number of independent third-party ROM developers shrank in the past two years, because this business needs high-tech savvy talents and has to cover a wide range of products. ROM developers are now divided into two camps: 1) companies develop both hardware and OS, like Apple, and domestic examples include Xiaomi, Meizu, OPPO, ZTE and Huawei; 2) companies concentrate on open operating platform, such as Lewa, Alibaba and Baidu. This kind of developer aims to optimize their OS, and then to cooperate with handset makers and design companies. Lewa has currently established cooperation relationship with 15 partners like ZOPO, Jiayu and THL to pre-install Lewa system in their products.
You may also Read:
- CyanogenMod, Firmware Developer For Android Devices, Launched Cooperation With OPPO To Develop Custom ROM
- Lenovo Unveiled VIBE Brand To Explore High-end Smartphone Market
- Meitu, Photo Editing & Sharing App Developer, to Launch A Self-portrait Smartphone
- Android Rules 58% of China’s Smartphone Market
- Legendary Chinese Rock Star Cuijian Launces A Custom Smartphone, Blue Bone