In formers posts about the start-up environment in Hong Kong and Taiwan, a common complaint of start-ups is the lack of government support. But after a bit of digging, it seems there are decent government organizations really trying to reach out and help start-ups. When I was in Taiwan, I met with James Hill www.twitter.com/jameshilltaiwan, who is part of a team that supports start ups at NEW Studio, part of III.

What is the main role of III?

III‘s main role is as a think tank working alongside the ICT industry and providing government with the necessary research work to drive policy. III also runs several business incubation programs, some centred on software such as the one at the Nangang Software Park, and others such as NEW Studio (the one I work at) which concentrates on web 2.0 and internet start ups. In my project, roughly 60% of our time is devoted to start ups, and the remaining 40% is research based reporting. The research we carry out can be about the trends we see coming out of the US and China and how to best use this information for the benefit of start ups here. We also produce e-books and other literature for purchase and hold conferences where entrepreneurs and experts from the US, Japan and China can share their thoughts on the future of the web economy with local start ups.

Start your free trial now.

Get instant access to all our premium content, archives, newsletters, and online community.

Monthly Membership

Yearly Membership

What you get

Full access to all premium content and our full archives

Members'-only newsletters

Preferential access and discounts to all TechNode events

Direct access to the TechNode newsroom

Start your free trial now.

Get instant access to all our premium content, archives, newsletters, and online community.

Monthly Membership

Yearly Membership

Jason Lim

Jason is an Australian born Chinese living in Beijing, specializing in entrepreneurship, start-ups and the investment eco-system in China, especially in the tech and social area.