Though Hangzhou and Shenzhen are both evolving swiftly nowadays, Beijing is a tech hub that we could not neglect when talking about China’s startup scene.
In the capital city, startups can not only find reliable partners and investors, but also keep up on what are the most trendy concepts in Chinese internet. All startups focused on red-hot sectors like O2O, Fintech and smart hardware consider Beijing as an important market.
Technode, as a tech media, also calls Beijing our base camp. That’s why we brought TechCrunch back to Beijing this November, where we aim to present an international stage for entrepreneurs to show off innovative ideas from Chinese internet industry to a broader audience.
What’s more, we are delighted to have you on-board for our Startup Competition, which is designed to discover and support outstanding programs. We hope that more startups will get the chance to show their innovation power in the future. To this goal, we have invited legendary investors from China’s top VCs to give their comments and guidance.
We want to discover the most innovative programs and teams in China, and support their further development.
- Aug. 20 – Oct. 13 Online Application
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 21 First Round
- Oct. 22 – Nov. 1 Preparation (for Top 15)
- Nov. 2 – Nov. 3 Final Round
- First Round: The judges all come from well-know institutions at home and abroad, and the judgement will be conducted according to the rule of overall ratings. Based on the average score of each team, top 15 of the total will step into the next round.
- Semi-Final: Semi-final, in the form of Pitch, will be held at a parallel session of TechCrunch International Summit. Each team will have 7 minutes to present. Through jury assessment and backstage discussions, the top 5 will get their tickets to the Final.
- Final: Resorting to a Pitch, each team will again get 7 minutes to present in the main venue. Six top VCs of China, through assessment and backstage discussion, will decide the top-3 winners of the competition.
Requirements for Startups:
- Startups should be focused on TMT sector
- Have NOT completed an “A” round investment yet.
- Startups who sign up for the competition would get two tickets for TechCrunch Beijing.
- Top-15 teams would have the chance to present your products onstage at TechCrunch Beijing.
- Top-15 teams would receive evaluation from the bigwigs and pre-competition guide from the experts.
- Top-15 teams would be interviewed specially by TechCrunch China and TechNode.
- Top-15 teams would get a free booth in TechCrunch Beijing.
For more information and to apply for the Startup Competition visit http://tc.technode.com/en/competition/ and submit your application before Oct. 13. Without further ado, please enjoy the list of our judges.
Duane Kuang: Founding Managing Partner of Qiming Venture Partners and Governor of China Venture Capital Association
Duane has over 20 years of IT industry operational and investment experience. He started his venture capital career since 1999. Prior to founding Qiming, Duane was the Director of Intel Capital China. During his 6 year tenure at Intel Capital, Duane had overall responsibilities for Intel Capital’s investment activities in China.
Prior to Intel Capital, Duane spent over 5 years at Cisco Systems in China, holding various senior management positions in the sales and marketing organizations. Before returning to China in 1994, Duane had a successful engineering and management career in both startup and large global companies in Silicon Valley.
Tony Su: Partner of Walden International
Walden International is a venture capital company focusing on smart hardware and semiconductor. As an investor Tony has 11 years experience of marketing management in electronic and semiconductor technology field (HuaWei, Semtech); 6 years in investing, dominated numerous programs such as Silergy, DJI, Shanghai Haier semiconductor, DFRobot, GDI, AirSmart System, How are you, MEMsensing and Solarpex etc.
Tony has rich experience of smart hardware and semiconductor investment, meanwhile he also has large number of industry resources.
Jacky Yao: Founding Partner of Seven Seas Partners
Office 365 Chief Strategy Officer of Microsoft China 2013 to 2014; MSN Program Manager 2004 to 2007;
General Manager of Tencent Enterprise Products 2007 to 2013;
Project Manager of eComm at Bank of New York & Mellon 2000 to 2004;
Business Process Consultant at PriceWaterhouseCoopers 1999 to 2000.
Xiang Zhou: Managing Director of China Renaissance, Head of China Renaissance Alpha
Xiang Zhou started his career at China Renaissance, he has more than 6 years experience in working for China Renaissance. He used to be the vice president of Enterprise and Finance Group, and also took places in TMT group, consumer group and Investor Relationship Group.
During the period of working in China Renaissance, he was involved in lots of reorganizations and private placement deals, including ChinaCache, 21vianet, Ambow Education, 56.com, DianDiagnostics, Lefeng.com, Wacai.com, Fenqile.com, Zhaogang.com.
Kevin Wang: Managing Partner of Ameba Capital
Ameba Capital was founded by Kevin Wang and Hong Zhao (former managing director of Finance and Treasury Department—Alibaba Group), Zhiguo Li (CEO of Wacai.com and former founder of Koubei.com) in 2011.
Ameba Fund focuses on inventing TMT companies which are in the early and growing stage. The interesting field of Ameba can be divided into O2O, e-business, online education and social network etc. He dominated the programs of Mogujie.com, Kuaidadi.com, Juesheng.com, Chuanke.com, tataUFO, Hotbody.com, Culture Media etc. Before Ameba Capital, Kevin was the executive director and CFO of Kingsoft.
Early employee at Facebook and its 1st engineering manager from mainland China. Built the payment security team from scratch to process every payment transaction at Facebook Advisor to Dianping, Baixing, CSDN Master degree in Management Science and Engineering from Stanford Forbes China Columnist. Judge for Forbes China 30 under 30 in 2014 Author of book We Engineered Facebook.
This is just a part of our jury. The judge list to be continued…
For participators, register right now by click the link below: