1 min read
[Podcast] Analyse Asia 160: CES 2017 Part 1 with Ben Bajarin
Editor’s note: This originally appeared on Analyse Asia, a weekly podcast hosted by Bernard Leong, dedicated to dissecting the pulse of business, technology, and media in Asia. The podcast features guests from Asia’s vibrant tech community.
Ben Bajarin from Creative Strategies and Techpinions joined us in a two-part conversation to discuss the recent Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2017 in Las Vegas. We discussed the major themes which have emerged from the show: the developing television sets and screens from Asian OEMs, the dominance of the Amazon Echo, the rising average selling price of personal computers and finally, the automotive industry making their appearance with cars. Last but not least, we reflected on the growing presence of the Asian OEMs and Shenzhen manufacturing companies in the show over the past few years and their innovations this year.
Listen to the episode here or subscribe.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion (with timestamps included):
- Ben Bajarin (@benbajarin, LinkedIn, Techpinions profile) from Creative Strategies and Techpinions.
- What have you been up to since we last spoke? [0:39]
- CES 2017 (Part 1) [2:06]
- An introduction to Consumer Electronics Show (CES) & its significance in tech. Annual event for most technology companies except Apple and this year is held on 9-12 Jan 2017 in Las Vegas.
- Ben’s introduction to CES [2:32]
- How do you usually cover CES? What do you look out for during the events with the different exhibition halls or product launches from companies such as Samsung or Huawei? [4:57]
- Do you see the international booths particularly from China getting larger as compared to the US booths in CES shows for the past few years? [7:19]
- What are the major big themes that emerge from CES 2017? Reference: A Few Big Themes from CES 2017 in Techpinions (require subscription) [9:16]
- On Bigger, Brighter, Thinner TVs [9:47]
- The rising average selling price of PCs [11:30]
- Year of the smart home: Amazon Echo and Alexa. [13:45]
- How the Amazon Echo or Google Home are driving sales of other home products in retail during Christmas. [16:50]
- Voice UI everywhere [17:50]
- Cars are interesting again [20:15]
- What are the Asian OEMs particularly China are up to in CES 2017 and any interesting innovations from their end? [22:58]
- Shenzhen section of CES 2017
TechNode does not necessarily endorse the commentary made in this program.