Editor’s note: This originally appeared on Analyse Asia, a weekly podcast hosted by Bernard Leong, dedicated to dissecting the pulse of business, technology, and media in Asia. The podcast features guests from Asia’s vibrant tech community.
Rhea Liu from China Tech Insights, Tencent joined us in a conversation on the pulse of live-streaming in China. We discussed the business structure & supply chain of live streaming companies within China, the chronology on how the whole business have evolved from the desktop to mobile and what is likely to happen in 2017.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion (with timestamps included):
- Rhea Liu, (LinkedIn, @yushan_l ), Analyst at China Tech Insights, Tencent (@CNTechInsights, WeChat:ChinaTechInsights)
- Since our last conversation, what have you been up to? [0:54]
- The Pulse of Livestreaming in China [1:20]
- How hot is the live streaming phenomenon craze in China look like? [1:29]
- How do you define live streaming and does it draw inspiration from platforms in the West? [2:16]
- Examples of live streaming platforms: 17, YY and 9158 [3:14]
- What is the chronology behind the rise of live streaming in China? [3:41]
- Can the technology infrastructure within China support the live streaming given a number of heavy data requirements from video streaming? [6:42]
- How lucrative is the live streaming phenomenon in China? Can you provide some examples similar to YY? An example of Momo in China. [7:57]
- What is the user demographics like for live-streaming phenomenon? [10:30]
- Can you provide some understanding to how the live streaming business work in China? What are the value chain and business model today? [14:14]
- Is it between the content providers and the live streaming platforms? Are there any additional stakeholders at play? [16:49]
- How are the flow of virtual gifts and advertising work in the live streaming market [19:10]
- What’s the income distribution of the streamer, talent agency, and platform? [20:04]
- Is E-Commerce the direct path for revenue in lifestreaming [22:38]
- What is the confidence from the capital markets with respect to the live streaming market? [23:36]
- What’s next for live streaming this year in 2017? [26:11]
Here’s the diagram which showed the supply chain of the entire live streaming market from the report (credits: China Tech Insights).
TechNode does not necessarily endorse the commentary made in this program.