1 min read
China Business Cast 70: The fast and the slow—China vs the West
Editor’s note: This originally appeared on the China Business Cast. China Business Cast is a podcast featuring experienced entrepreneurs and business people making things happen in China. If you want to learn from on the ground accounts of how business actually gets done in China, this is the program for you.
It’s “Rosh Hashanah”, the Jewish New Year celebration. Happy New Year to all our listeners! Things in China are changing so fast and the way things that we expect in the West to work are already way beyond that point in China. This is a special format we haven’t done in a long time. We would love to get your feedback.
Listen to the episode here or subscribe.
- Bike Sharing: In China, a new company does bike sharing every month. In the West, this does not exist, or if it does, there’s only very little in selected cities.
- Messaging: WhatsApp vs. WeChat
- Delivery: The standard now in China is same-day delivery. In the West, Amazon Prime is presented as the most advanced and this is a one to two days delivery.
- Sending Packages: No more going to the post office. In China, someone comes to your house, picks up the package, and ships it. You give the postman the address and pay him.
- Payments: In China, there is no need to carry a wallet anymore as payments anywhere can do through WeChat or Alipay using your phone. In the West, payment options are still cash or credit card.
- TechCrunch Perspective: In TechCrunch, other foreign people express why they like China so much as it’s all fast-paced.
TechNode does not necessarily endorse the commentary made in this program.