Huawei is among the first batch of smartphone makers to receive official safety accreditation for upcoming 5G-capable handsets, along with OnePlus, ZTE, and Vivo, reported National Business Daily.
Why it matters: Securing the permits means the companies are a step closer to launching their respective next-generation smartphones, a widely anticipated catalyst as sales decline in markets across the globe.
- The firms still need to apply to authorities for licenses to access the country’s commercial 5G network, which is touted to launch in October.
- Huawei announced last month it had already received its Network Access License for the Mate 20 X model from the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology.
Details: Seven 5G handsets have received China Compulsory Certifications, a safety accreditation for products sold on the domestic market, from the China Quality Certification Center.
- Four of the smartphones are from Huawei, while OnePlus, ZTE and Vivo have one each.
- An insider at Oppo said the firm had also secured the certification, while Xiaomi said it would apply next week, National Business Daily reported.
Context: The race to deliver smartphones compatible with 5G networks has begun as companies eye fresh opportunities in a saturated market.
- On June 6, authorities granted licenses for the commercial use of 5G to the country’s big three carriers—China Mobile, China Telecom, and China Unicom—as well as the state-owned China Broadcasting Network Corp.
- The Chinese smartphone market continued to cool this year with sales down 12% quarter on quarter in the first three months, according to research firm Counterpoint.
- A report by research firm Canalys said global shipments of 5G-enabled handsets would hit nearly 800 million in 2023, and more than one-third of sales will come from Greater China, which includes mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.