Editor’s note: This originally appeared on Analyse Asia, a weekly podcast hosted by Bernard Leong, dedicated to dissecting the pulse of business, technology, and media in Asia. The podcast features guests from Asia’s vibrant tech community.
Rhea Liu from China Tech Insights, Tencent joined in a 2 part conversation on their recent published report “Trends and Predictions for China tech industry in 2017”. In the first part of our conversation, we discussed the objectives, methodologies and key results from the report, and deep-dived into different themes such as the complete mobilization of China’s Internet and the impact of Baidu-Alibaba-Tencent to the China domestic and international markets & Chinese startup ecosystem.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion (with time-stamps included):
- Rhea Liu, (LinkedIn, @yushan_l), Analyst at China Tech Insights by Tencent (@CNTechInsights, Wechat: ChinaTechInsights)
- How did you start your career? [1:15]
- China Tech Insights is part of Tencent, one of the Baidu-Alibaba-Tencent (BAT) axis which is also well-known for QQ & Wechat. China Tech Insights is part of Tencent’s Penguin Intelligence.
- What’s your role and coverage for China Tech Insights? [2:17]
- Through your career, what are the interesting careers you can share? [4:46]
- Trends and Predictions for China tech industry in 2017 (English, Chinese) [6:40]
- The report is inspired by Mary Meeker’s annual report on the Internet. The aim is point to provide an accurate depiction of China’s Internet.
- What are the objectives for this report? [6:58]
- What are the methodologies used for research in preparation for the report? [9:03]
- What are the key results from the report? [10:24]
- The Chinese Internet is close to complete mobilization [12:50]
- What does it mean by complete mobilization? [12:58]
- The research data on smartphone and desktop penetration is from CNNIC in China.
- Does that mean that you are beginning to see the niche services becoming important i.e. the emerging growth of long tail niches within the Chinese Internet services? [14:58]
- The impact of the BAT (Baidu-Alibaba-Tencent) [17:00]
- How does each of these companies impact the local markets and international markets differently? [17:15]
- How is the China startup ecosystem reacting to the influence of the BAT? [20:51]
- How are foreign companies entering China work within the BAT ecosystem? [23:14]
Author’s Note: The sound quality for BL’s side is not so good for these two episodes due to issues with skype recording.
TechNode does not necessarily endorse the commentary made in this program.