Editor’s note: This originally appeared on China Tech Insights, an English research unit affiliated to Tencent’s Online Media Group.
889 million MAUs, 10 million+ official accounts and 200K+ third-party developers. In the past 7 years, WeChat has established an extensive ecosystem centering this mega messenger application, and becomes a vital part of China’s mobile internet today.
To understand this multi-trillion business based on WeChat, you need to first understand how its users evolve along with the platform. This year, we, as the English unit of Penguin Intelligence, work together with China Academy of Information and Communications Technology to co-launch this consumer research report on WeChat to show you an overview of this mega app and the ecosystem around it.
Highlights of this report include:
- Mobile payments have a high penetration rate in China
- Convenient stores have become WeChat Pay’s primary offline transaction channel
- Mini Programs have a penetration rate around 20% with mostly low-frequency users
- WeChat users have a sharp increase of the average number of contacts
- The biggest challenges agreed for all content providers on WeChat