Editor’s note: This originally appeared on Analyse Asia, a weekly podcast hosted by Bernard Leong, dedicated to dissecting the pulse of business, technology, and media in Asia. The podcast features guests from Asia’s vibrant tech community.
Tina Cheng from Cherubic Ventures joined us in a conversation about the firm’s investments across the region from Greater China to the US. We discussed the mission, vision and management team behind Cherubic Ventures and discuss how they looked at founders & startups as an early stage investor. Last but not least, she also shared her perspectives on the Taiwan startup ecosystem from an investor’s perspective.
Listen to the episode here or subscribe.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the discussion (with timestamps included):
- Tina Cheng (@tinacheng, Linkedin), Partner, Cherubic Ventures [0:38]
- How did you start your career? [1:02]
- What is the transition in shifting from entrepreneur to venture capitalist? [3:47]
- Throughout your career journey, what are the interesting career lessons you can share with my audience? [4:57]
- What is the daily routine of a venture capitalist for someone like yourself? [7:30]
- Cherubic Ventures & Venture Capital Ecosystem in Taiwan [9:12]
- What is the mission and vision of Cherubic Ventures? [9:20]
- What is your current role and coverage in Cherubic Ventures? [10:15]
- Who are the key partners in the management team of Cherubic Ventures? [10:44]
- Do you have an investment thesis? If so, can you share with us? [11:22]
- How do you identify founders of startups to invest in? What are the key traits you look in them? [12:45]
- What are the common issues that the venture capital firm typically help founders to do? [14:10]
- How do you help founders when their startups are in trouble? What are the “do-nots” that you tell them? [15:43]
- What are the interesting companies on the Cherubic Ventures portfolio? [18:11]
- How do you see the Taiwan startup ecosystem from your viewpoint? [20:56]
- What are the challenges of the Taiwan startup ecosystem from your perspective? [26:30]
TechNode does not necessarily endorse the commentary made in this program.