Editor’s note: This originally appeared on the China Business Cast. China Business Cast is a podcast featuring experienced entrepreneurs and business people making things happen in China. If you want to learn from on the ground accounts of how business actually gets done in China, this is the program for you.
Johan Nylander is a China correspondent based in Hong Kong. By looking beyond the daily news grind, he aims to find people and entrepreneurs, trends and social movements, that explain what’s really going on in the world’s second largest economy – and how it affects you. His stories are frequently published by media like the CNN, South China Morning Post, Nikkei Asian Review and Al Jazeera. He’s also a China stringer for Sweden’s leading business daily, Dagens Industri. He has an MBA from the University of Gothenburg in his native Sweden, and is author of an award-winning management book. Today, he spends his time traveling in China and neighboring countries, conducting interviews with presidents and peasants, entrepreneurs and migrant workers, triad members and government officials; all those who shape tomorrow’s China.
- Johan shares what made him write about his book, Shenzhen Superstars, in the first place and why Shenzhen
- His most impressive fascinations about Shenzhen while discovering it
- Some behind the scene stories while in the process of writing the book and why he touched on different aspects of the tech and innovation scene of Shenzhen (e.g. hardware accelerator, tech titans, maker culture, parts market, pirates etc.)
- What he didn’t write on the book that he wants to add now and his latest observations
- Feedback he received after writing the book
- Johan shares some stories from the book
- Johan tells a little about the second book he’s currently writing about the greater bay topic
- How to get in touch with Johan
TechNode does not necessarily endorse the commentary made in this program.