Oppo released two flagship phones, the Find X6 and the Find X6 Pro, at its new product launch event on Tuesday afternoon. The Find X6 series features a triple camera design, with a wide angle lens with large 1-inch sensor, a periscope telephoto lens, and an ultra wide angle lens, as Oppo looks to dramatically upgrade its products’ imaging capabilities.
Why it matters: In the past two years, rivals Vivo and Xiaomi have made significant progress in imaging, with the latter working with Leica for example, while Oppo’s camera systems have been seen as lagging behind as the company prioritized aesthetics. The new Find X6 phones, which are being positioned as high-end flagship models, are an attempt to regain the ground lost.
Details: The new X6 series was launched in the mainland China market only on Tuesday with prices starting from RMB 4,499 ($652). Equipped with three main cameras and advanced optical technology, the Find X6 series brings what Oppo claimed is “unprecedented image quality to both photo and video shooting on all three cameras.”
- With its 1-inch sensor, the Find X6 Pro’s wide camera has the largest photosensitive sensor area of any smartphone camera. Similarly, the phone’s ultra wide camera is larger than any wide-angle smartphone camera to date. The two cameras are joined by a periscope telephoto camera, which is designed to capture images in low-light environments.
- In terms of performance, the Oppo Find X6 uses the Dimensity 9200 flagship chip, while the Pro is powered with the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2. Both models have LPDDR5X memory and USF 4.0 flash memory. In addition, the Find X6 series is equipped with Oppo’s self-developed MariSilicon X chip, which is tailor made to improve imaging quality.
- Compared with its predecessor the Find X5 Pro, the Find X6 series offers a very different approach to design. Crafted from glass and aluminum, the centerpiece rounded lens module gives the Find X6 series a sleek appearance. The Find X6 features a 6.74-inch OLED screen, with a resolution of 2,772 by 1,240 pixels and supporting a peak brightness of 1,450 nit. The Find X6 Pro features a 6.82-inch screen with a 120Hz refresh rate and a resolution of 3,168 by 1,440, supporting a peak brightness of 2,500 nit.
- In addition to its flagship phones, Oppo also launched wireless noise-canceling earbuds Enco Free3 and its Oppo Pad2 at the event.
Context: According to market analysis platform StatCounter, Oppo accounted for 5.53% of China’s mobile phone market in February 2023, with Vivo making up 8.15% and Xiaomi 7.14%.
- Oppo’s two main domestic rivals have both focused on imaging technology in recent years. In December 2022, Xiaomi launched its flagship Xiaomi 13 series phones with Leica optics.
- Vivo launched its flagship series the X90 for the global market last month, partnering with optical giant Zeiss to develop its camera sensors and lenses.